Saturday, January 18, 2014

"Thing Three"
   I used the QR Code app this fall when I held our yearly Scholastic Book Fair. I had the children pick a book that was going to be on the book fair to read. They wrote a short book talk about the book. I had one child use an iPad with the Videolicious app to video tape the book talk. I then uploaded it to the QR Code website. The QR code was created then I uploaded the video to School Tube. I used School Tube because it seemed  to be more user friendly than a couple of other sites and Scholastic recommended it. During the book fair I posted the QR Codes next to the books the children talked about. The parents could then use their phones or iPads and scan the QR Code to watch the videos. The children were really excited to have their parents and friends use technology and listen to their book talks and the parents were excited to see their kids on video.
   I have also used QR Codes for a scavenger hunt in the library, I give them a QR code clue like what is the seventh word in the book The Hunger Games on page 172. The student finds the book in the library catalog. They then locate the book on the shelf they find the word and get a the new QR Code that explains where to find the next clue. Not only do the kids learn how to use the QR scanner, but they learn where things are in the library. 

1 comment:

  1. Brenda you are ahead of the game. Great way to involve your students and the use of technology. I hope you learn some new apps that are applicable to incorporate into your teaching.

    ReplyDelete